It was long due from my end to allocate some space in my blog series for one of the area that I have explored extensively over the last few years – Business Intelligence and Analytics. It was exciting journey along with the evolution of BI using software solutions such as SAP Business Objects, Microsoft SSRS, SSAS, TIBCO Spotfire and Tableau. My experience with these different BI solutions helps me to compare and evaluate the capabilities of these tools against the business requirement and identify the right solution.
If you work with data and having difficulty in delivering solutions to the requirements, you should sit back and look for answering the questions below:
- Am I using the right Business Intelligence tool for my requirement?
- Are the features in the tool inadequate?
- Are the BI tools/reports inefficient or slow?
- Is my tool too complex to learn or to develop solutions?
- Are my users facing difficulty in interpreting the data visualizations presented?
- Can my organization afford the desired BI solution? What are alternatives?
Define the problem areas with questions like these and it will start guiding you to course correct the current approach that you use. And these questions are equally important even when you are at a new requirement and subsequent design and selection of BI solution. I will go through some of these key criteria in the upcoming articles. Filter using the tags given here.